Principal’s Comment – 5th July 2019

Dear Parents and Carers,

Another term over and the holidays are about to begin. Hopefully they will give a chance for recuperation from all the various ‘bugs’ and illnesses that have afflicted so many over the last few weeks. The final day – with a much-reduced School population – saw us collapse the normal timetable in favour of a range of activities in which multi-year groups participated.

Activity Day

I believe that we all had an enjoyable and purposeful end to the term with a day of activities which tested minds and bodies in all sorts of ways. Origami, mathematics puzzles, investigations into plastics and chess engaged the mathematical side of the brain, whilst drama, art and maybe even Minecraft stimulated the creative side. We also had a variety of team-building exercises which got brain and body working together...or not, in some cases!

Country Week

Our teams are on their way back and we wish them safe travels after a busy week, which saw mixed successes, but great enjoyment and fulfilment. Whilst we could not emulate some of the high placings of previous years we did not disgrace ourselves and ended up in a creditable middle position in our groups.

My thanks are due to Mr Blair Castelli for his organisation and leadership of the week, and to the staff coaches: Mrs Mandie Abbott, Mrs Sharelle Walter, Ms Tian Della Vedova, Mr Nathan Abbott and Mr Peter Grobler.

Have Sum(sic)Fun

This term two teams of Year 7 and 8 students competed in the ‘Have Sum Fun Online’ Mathematics Competition conducted by the Mathematical Association of Western Australia. ‘Have Sum Fun Online’ is designed to foster mathematical problem solving for students and is a quiz involving NAPLAN style problems. The two teams gave up their time after school to compete against schools from all over WA in three rounds.

The Year 8 team consisting of Sophie Garvey, Regan Mott, Yasmin Nadason and William Wildberger, came in with a good result of 40th out of 70 teams.

The Year 7 team consisting of Charis Lee-Steere, Lucas Tobin, Layne Varea and Mitch Wandel came in with an excellent result of 28th out of 75 teams.

Congratulations to both teams in a worthwhile new initiative in an area often seen as weak (but not here!).

Education Perfect Science Championships

We, again, took part in this series, this time around science and put in a distinguished performance. Finlay McKenzie received a Gold award, and Jack Balsdon a Bronze, helping the School to the following positions:

26th overall for schools in the 101 to 250 students category (out of 343 schools)
18th in Australia for schools in the 101 to 250 students category (out of 247 schools)
6th in WA for schools in the 101 to 250 students category (out of 35 schools)
52nd overall in WA (out of 1515 schools)

Big Science Online Competition

Further success was achieved in science by several of our students who received awards as follows:

Year 7

Joel Maguire - Credit
Mitch Wandel - Credit
Lucas Tobin - Distinction

Year 8

Bailey Fiegert - Distinction

Year 9

Ashton Burnside - Credit
Madison Maitland - Credit
Izaak Wallace - Credit

Year 10

Bailey Fiegert - Credit

Year 10

Justin Dellaca - Credit

It is so good to see our students performing well in this vital area of education.

Aussie of the Month

Awards for the month of June were presented to the following students:

Year 7 - Lucas Tobin
Year 8 - Conner Morcombe
Year 9 - Montana Fisher
Year 10 - Maddilyn McGrinder
Years 11/12 - Jett Nelson

Uniform

The School has a substantial amount of second-hand uniform which will be sold-off during the school holidays. Please call in to Reception to see what is available at knock-down prices throughout the vacation.

School Office Opening in Holidays

A reminder that the School office will be open during the holidays from 0900-1500 daily.

Forthcoming Events

A reminder of a few events in the next week or two:

Monday 8th July – Semester 1 reports released on SEQTA
Sunday 21st to Tuesday 30th July – Year 9 Canberra Camp

Term 3

Monday 22nd July Staff professional development day STUDENT FREE DAY
Tuesday 23rd July 0840 School resumes for all students

Farewell

It is strange to be writing this final ‘Comment’ as I prepare to leave for retirement. Much has been said so I do not wish to prolong things; however, I have been very touched by the many kind comments and good wishes that I have received from staff, students and parents. My time at EACS has been so fulfilling and I leave with mixed feelings. Sometimes the words of others express these better, so I hope that you might forgive me sharing a line (paraphrased a little to fit) from AA Milne which does just this.

How lucky I am to have had something that makes saying goodbye so hard.

I truly have been fortunate to complete my career here. Although I leave EACS behind, it, and the town, is part of myself and cannot be forgotten. So, as I take my leave, I wish the School all good fortune in the future.

With my thanks for all you support and friendship, and my warm wishes. Yours sincerely,

Yours sincerely,

Kerr-sign-removebg

P. Kerr Fulton-Peebles
Principal