The ‘ETA’ Executive Team Address
TERM 4 WEEK 4 REFLECTIONS
This week it is felt that it is a good opportunity to fill in the gaps and offer further elaboration on some of the calendared events coming up. Please view the ‘Notices’ section below.
What's on this week (week 4)
- Monday – Thursday Year 11 ATAR Exams (study leave)
- Monday – Thursday Year 10 Exams (mornings)
- Friday Year 11 First Aid training (St Johns, Esperance, Sub Centre)
- 12-14 November Executive Principal on campus
- 12 November Big Picture Exhibition evening 1700-1800hrs
- 12 November Year 10 English/Maths ATAR pathways meeting 1630hrs & 1800hrs
- 13 November Open Morning 0910 – 1110hrs
- 14 November Year 8 and 9 elective subject selection meeting 2020
- 15 November Transition Day
- 18 November Mid-term break (school closed)
- 19-22 November Year 7-9 Exams
- 20 November Maths Pathways parents evening
- 03 December Musical Soiree (DMP 1800 – 1900hrs)
- 09 December Year 12 Graduation evening at the Pier
- 10 December Night of Celebration and Awards
- 11 December Advanced Standing luncheon and reward activity
- 12 December Inter-house Beach Volleyball (all day)
- 16 December 2019S2 Reports issued
Executive Principal Dates - Esperance
- Tuesday 12 November – Thursday 14 November (am)
- Tuesday 3 December – Thursday 5 December (am)
- Tuesday 10 December – Wednesday 11 December (am)
Year 11 Exams
Year 11 students are on study leave this week. For our ATAR students these important semester two exams will be an important litmus test, signifying how well our students have set themselves up in preparation for year 12. Subsequent to receiving feedback on their exams in week 5 many of our students will then commence year 12 coursework. For our General and Big Picture students it will be business as usual upon their return as they surge to the finish line to complete year 11 coursework.
Year 10 exams
Year 10 also commence important exams this week and results across core learning areas will provide students with a very clear snapshot as to whether their choice of subjects for year 11 are aligned with the strength of their current achievements. It is an exciting time for our year 10 students as they edge ever closer to the next phase of their education and senior secondary schooling.
Year 9 Big Picture Exhibition Evening
On Tuesday 12 November our year 9 students will be exhibiting their semester’s work in DMP from 1700-1800hrs. To witness the confidence in our students to be able to stand up in front of family and other members of the school community and converse with such authority and conviction about a topic of major interest is testament to the genuine, meaningful and enjoyable learning experience that Big Picture provides for many of our students. If you would like to see this key aspect of the Big Picture design at work, then please come along to our Big Picture Exhibition evening.
Year 9 into 10 ATAR Pathways meeting
On Tuesday 12 November (the same evening as Big Picture Exhibitions) Mrs Ford and Mrs Walter will be presenting the merits and complexities of the English and Mathematics preparation pathways available for our year 9 students as they make preparations for year 10 in 2020. Students have been given a clear indication as to which class they will be best suited, based on current achievement levels, and from this much reflection and further discussions will no doubt ensue. Two sessions will be running on the same day, one from 1630-1700hrs and 1800-1830hrs. It is hoped that as many Year 9 families as possible will be in attendance at one of these important information sessions.
On Wednesday 13 November EACS has an Open morning from 0910 -1110hrs. There will be a short welcome from the Executive Principal followed by school tours facilitated by our newly appointed School Prefects with support from our senior Big Picture students. Please encourage any friends that you have, who may be contemplating an EACS education for their child, to come along at this time.
Year 8&9 Subject Selection meeting
On Thursday 14 November all current year 8 and 9 students will attend an elective subject selection meeting where they will find out more information about the elective program and structure for 2020. At this time, students will be given the necessary documentation to take home and complete. Elective forms will be due back into school on Monday 25 November.
Friday 15 November is the first opportunity for our new students commencing in 2020 to spend a day in the life of an EACS student. New students will participate in a range of activities designed to provide enjoyment, foster new friendships and gain an awareness and appreciation for the schools facilities, programs and surrounds.
Year 9 Canberra Camp 2020
Please be advised that the dates for next year’s Canberra Camp fall within the second week of the July school holidays. The trip dates are the 13-21 July 2020. The Canberra Camp is a non-compulsory trip and we are therefore keen to ensure that there is minimal impact on delivery of the curriculum and various other teaching and learning initiatives. An initial launch meeting for current year 8 parents will take place in coming weeks prior to the end of term.
Please be advised that two proposed dates for this event have been conflicted with other school and Esperance community events taking place at the same time. The event has been re-scheduled again and will now take place on Tuesday 03 December. This will be an evening of fine musicianship in DMP commencing with nibbles and drinks from 1730hrs. RSVPs necessary for catering purposes.
Chess Coaching opportunity
Tomorrow after-school (Wednesday) from 1515-1615hrs EACS will be hosting a visit from Leon Taylor. Leon is an ex Australian Junior Chess Champion and national representative player. He will be attending Chess Club to run a multi-player simultaneous game, offering some tips and strategies for all those in attendance. This is an open invitation to interested students, staff and parents alike. Leon will also attend the Esperance Senior Chess Club on Thursday evening from 1815hrs at the Senior Citizens. All and sundry most welcome.
Imogen Stone is in the news again this week for her achievements. At the Pony Club WA State Eventing Championships Imogen placed first in the PC95 Teams class with two other girls from Pinjarra. The team received the trophy for the best cross country and showjumping score as well as the Lindisfarne shield. Imogen also finished 3rd in the individual competition. Congratulations.
Stella recently competed in The Bruce Cup, representing WA for School Sports. She made it to semifinals in the girls singles. In the Darcy Slater Cup she won the Women’s U14 singles final & will travel to Melbourne in January 2020 to represent WA in the National Country Championships. On Saturday Stella was also awarded the Telstra Junior Sports Star of the Year Award. A real feather in her cap and just recognition for all her hard work spent on the tennis court. Congratulations.
Congratulations to Tahnesiha on finishing her Cert IV in Nursing Preparation Studies. Tahneisha has finished a qualification in 12 months that is normally done over two years. A cert IV is equivalent to and ATAR score of 70 and is an alternative university entry pathway used by many vocational students.
Esperance Show success
Congratulations to all students who exhibited at the recent Esperance Show in the various competition categories. Harry Dowsett, Madeline Fox and Luke Burnside all had first and second prize successes worthy of mention.
Year 12 WACE ATAR Examination Schedule 2019 (Anglican Parish Hall)
- Tuesday 05 November Physics 0920hrs
- Tuesday 05 November Psychology 1400hrs
- Thursday 07 November Maths Applications 0920hrs
- Friday 08 November Biology 1400hrs
- Monday 11 November Chemistry 0920hrs
- Wednesday 13 November Media Production and Analysis 0920hrs
Year 11 ATAR Examination Schedule 2019S2 (EACS – E5)
- Monday 04 November English 0900hrs
- Tuesday 05 November Geography, Physics, PE Studies 0900hrs
- Wednesday 06 November Biology, Maths (Specialist) 0900hrs
- Thursday 07 November Chemistry, Psychology, Visual Arts 0900hrs
Year 10 Examination Schedule 2019S2 (EACS – E4)
- Monday 04 November Science 0900hrs
- Tuesday 05 November English 0900hrs
- Wednesday 06 November HASS 0900hrs
- Thursday 07 November Maths 0900hrs
- Friday 08 November Catch-up day 0900hrs
Best wishes for the week ahead.